Stories behind the
names on UW-Stout's
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN
WISCONSiffS POUTTECHHIC UNIVERSITY
Stories behind the names on UW-Stout's campus buildings and facilities
University of Wisconsin-Stout
James Huff Stout, son of Henry and Eveline Stout, was born
in 1848, in Dubuque, Iowa. At age 19, he began work at his
father's lumber business, the Knapp, Stout & Co., Company. In
1 889, he moved to Menomonie, Wis. to assume management
of the company's logging and milling operations along the
Red Cedar, Chippewa and Mississippi rivers.
Knapp, Stout and Co., Company, established by lumber
barons Henry Stout, John Knapp, William Wilson and
Andrew Tainter, was an immense empire. Although James
Stout was an heir to this growing fortune, he had no intention
of living the life of the idle rich.
Stout had a great interest in education and through his
travels was exposed to new ideas in this field. Feeling that
the educational system was too narrow, he sought to broaden
it by introducing his philosophy of "learning through
involvement" with the Menomonie Board of Education. He
offered to fund the construction of Wisconsin's first school
devoted exclusively to the areas of manual training and
domestic science. Although these ideas were considered
revolutionary for their time, the board accepted his proposal
with great enthusiasm.
The Stout Manual Training School, located on the
grounds of the Menomonie Public School, opened its doors
in 1891. Students attended their regular classes at the public
school, and spent part of each day in manual and domestic
arts classes at the manual training school.
This project was so well received by students and members
of the community that Stout decided to build a larger school.
In 1893, a new three-story wooden structure, complete with
a clock tower, was built. Stout never revealed the amount he
had invested in the project, but estimates run up to $50,000,
a considerable sum in those days.
Stout was elected to the Wisconsin State Senate in
1895. He was soon appointed chairman of the Education
Committee, a position he held for 15 years.
Senator Stout was in Madison on February 3, 1897,
when he was informed that a fire had destroyed the manual
training school and the high school building adjacent to it.
The community's reaction to the fire revealed their pride and
strong attachment to the school. Under the condition that
the city of Menomonie would rebuild the high school, Stout
agreed to finance the construction of an improved manual
training school on the same site. This three-story brick
structure still stands today as Bowman Hall.
A tower was constructed on the north end of the building
and was supplied with a 7,000-pound bell purchased by
the local citizens. The tower serves as a landmark in the
community and in the memory of every Stout graduate.
In 1899, the Stout Manual Training School took another
important step. Lorenzo Dow Harvey, state superintendent
of schools, suggested to the Menomonie Board of Education
that a two-year kindergarten teacher training program be
offered in the Menomonie schools. Senator Stout, president
of the board of education, played a major role in the
enactment of this proposal. By 1903, four additional schools
were established and included facilities for the instruction of
manual training and domestic science teachers, a school for
homemakers, and a school of physical culture which housed
a swimming pool and gymnasium.
In 1908, the six schools, all built, equipped and staffed
by Senator Stout, were incorporated and named the Stout
Institute. The state took over the institute after Stout's death
in 1910. Stout has grown considerably but remains true
to Senator Stout's original philosophy — learning through
Stout Manual Training School 1 89 1
The Stout Institute 1908
Stout State College 1953
Stout State University 1964
University of Wisconsin-Stout 1971
Home to the Blue Devils softball team, Alumni Field honors
all Stout graduates. The Stout Alumni Association Board
of Directors gave the Recreation and Athletic Complex
campaign a gift of $100,000 to fund the NCAA-regulation,
lighted softball field.
Sara Keturah "Kit" Antrim joined the Stout faculty in the fall
of 1936 as director of physical education for women. She
was appointed the first dean of women in 1945 and served
in this position, concurrently with her other position, until
1958. She continued to direct women's physical education
until her retirement in 1964.
Antrim believed in physical education for all women. She
was also an advocate of good posture, emphasizing it in her
classes. In her freshman physical education classes, Antrim
took "before" and "after" pictures of each woman to determine
the amount of posture improvement over the course of the
An outgrowth of her work as dean of women was her
interest in working toward the creation of a student center,
a dream realized in 1947. She served on the student center
committee and, after the center opened, she gave many
hours to make it a success.
Clyde A. Bowman came to Stout in 1919 to administer
the industrial education division. His tenure spanned the
administrations of three Stout Institute presidents.
Bowman was a creative conservative and felt Stout should
adhere closely to the vocational ideals upon which it was
founded, though add modern concepts such as the general
shop. He supported the institution through many rough
times and served as interim president upon L.D. Harvey's
Bowman's view that everything one does is best
accomplished through the use of charts was termed
"Bowmanology" by his students and faculty. He was extremely
organized, although those who didn't know him may have
received a different impression when entering his office,
which was stacked to the ceiling with papers. However, if
asked about a certain topic, he knew exactly where to find
Bowman retired in 1953 with the title dean emeritus.
A poised and dignified woman, Gertrude Callahan came
to Stout in the fall of 1927. Callahan became head of the
English department after three years, serving until she
retired in 1961. (As an interesting aside, her father, John Callahan,
served many years on Stout Institute's Board of Trustees.)
Held in great esteem by her students due to her help-
fulness and great love of English literature, Callahan advised
several student clubs (including the literary publications) , served on
various faculty committees, and was a member of a number of
professional organizations. She retired as professor emeritus
of English. A dormitory wing was named in her honor.
Dwight Chinnock initiated Stout's first program for the
off-campus supervision of student teachers in industrial
education. Chinnock taught in the metals department for
six years. He was then appointed to supervise the industrial
education student teaching program.
A sports enthusiast, Chinnock served for many years
as a faculty representative for athletics in the Wisconsin
State University Conference and received the National
Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Award of Merit for
his contribution to athletics. He is a member of the Stout
and UW-River Falls halls of fame.
Chinnock gave much to industrial education and was
known for the genuine concern he held for educating
After 29 years of service, he retired in 1969 with the title
Frederick L. Curran received a diploma through the Stout
Institute's two-year program, and later in 1921, he earned
his bachelor of science degree in industrial education when
Stout became a four-year college.
Curran joined the faculty at Stout in 1908, and over
the years, he taught a variety of courses. Courses included
woodworking, cabinetmaking, Venetian iron work, history
of manual training and English.
In 1918, Fred Curran was appointed the supervisor of
industrial education student teachers. He also was the part-
time director of the Menomonie Vocational School from
1918 to 1929.
After 32 years of service, Frederick Curran retired in
Thomas Fleming started at Stout as an instructor of freshman
English and feature writing. His enthusiasm for English and
journalism inspired students to meet his high standards.
Eventually, he became chair of the English department.
Fleming later served as the university's director of public
relations. He was well suited to that position as an eloquent
speaker with a ready wit. Most importantly, Fleming had a
sincere interest in helping others which endeared him to
many students, faculty and administration officials.
Fleming was a faculty member for 16 years before his
death at age 42 in a car accident.
Upon her arrival at Stout in 1924 as head librarian, Lillian
M. Froggatt not only had to ensure the smooth running of
the library (there had been a number oj librarians in short succession
before her arrival), but she needed to improve the quality of
the holdings, principally in the liberal arts areas, in order for
Stout to qualify for North Central Association accreditation.
Due to her industrious efforts, Stout received its accreditation
in 1928, and was given full college rank and recognition by
NCA in 1932. By 1930, the library was noted as being "the
most outstanding feature of the Stout Institute."
Froggatt exhibited a stern appearance, characteristic of
librarians of her day, to maintain a quiet atmosphere in the
By the mid- 1940s, the library holdings had outgrown
their space in Harvey Hall. Froggatt and her associates
began plans for a new library. (Froggatt's master's thesis had been
written on how to build a library. )
In June 1 955, just a year after the completion of the Pierce
Library (since replaced by the Swanson Learning Center), Froggatt
retired with the title of faculty emeritus.
Lieutenant Colonel Verne C. Fryklund was appointed presi-
dent of the Stout Institute in 1945, while awaiting discharge
from the Army Air Force. In World War II, he served as a
training expert and was in charge of setting up an armed
forces tank school.
Fryklund taught in several public schools across the
country, as well as at Wayne State University and the
University of Minnesota. He was also the supervisor of
vocational education in the city schools of Detroit. A leader
in the field of industrial and vocational education, Fryklund
wrote many books pertaining to these areas. His trade and
job analysis approach was widely used.
President Fryklund was the strong leader that Stout needed.
The university was in a period of transition as veterans were
returning home, enrollment was increasing and the economy
Fryklund set out to meet these challenges by adding more
residence halls and hiring more faculty. A new library was
built and construction began on a building to provide more
shops and classrooms. This structure was completed in 1961
and was named Fryklund Hall.
President Fryklund was a strict disciplinarian but well
respected. A traditionalist, he held rather conservative
views where curriculum was concerned. Fryklund felt the
institution should concentrate on its historic mission of
home economics and industrial and vocational education.
He was always very proud of Stout as it was and feared that
any radical changes in direction might destroy its unique
position in the educational world. In his view, liberal arts
were a part of this, but should not become separate degree
programs. He felt such expansion would cause Stout to lose
Fryklund retired in 1961 with the title president emeritus.
H.M. Hansen worked at the Knapp, Stout & Co., Company's
sawmill and had 1 4 years of building trades experience before
he came to the Stout Institute as an instructor in 1912. He
was also an instructor at the Wharton American Technical
School in Wharton, England, following World War II.
Hansen was considered a fine craftsman and a skilled
cabinetmaker. He taught woodworking, cabinetmaking and
millwriting. Though skilled at handwork, he was outstanding
at using woodworking machines to produce high quality
Hans Hansen retired in 1952.
Lorenzo Dow Harvey
Lorenzo Dow Harvey devoted most of his life to education
and held many influential offices including president of the
state normal schools in Milwaukee, state superintendent of
public instruction, and president of the National Education
Association. Harvey came to Menomonie in 1903 to head up
the Stout Manual Training schools and serve as superintendent
of the public school system, though he could have accepted
any number of well-paying positions elsewhere. Harvey's
salary as superintendent of schools would hardly have held
him if Senator Stout had not supplemented his income from
his own pocket and secured him the position of assistant
cashier at First National Bank. To simplify administration of
the various Stout enterprises, the Stout Institute was created
in 1908, and Harvey became its first president.
An experienced educator and administrator, Harvey was
well suited to his role as president. He held a strong belief
in the merits of manual training, domestic science, art and
physical education. His reputation and influence aided in
making vocational training an accredited part of education.
Harvey was a stern but fair disciplinarian who was
respected by both faculty and students. He was socially
genial, professionally stern and a good companion on
the fishing trips that appealed to him as the best form of
He served as president until his death in 1922.
Leonard M. Hovlid grew up in Menomonie and attended
the Stout Institute. He later received his bachelor of science
degree from the University of Wisconsin in Madison.
Hovlid taught for two years in Beloit, Wis. He served
as director of manual training at the North Division High
School in Milwaukee for 26 years.
Hovlid died in 1959, leaving a substantial bequest to the
John A. Jarvis came to Stout in 1946 as an assistant professor
of electricity, mathematics and several other professional
courses. Jarvis replaced Clyde Bowman as dean of industrial
education in 1952. As the university grew, he became dean
of faculty and in 1966, the vice president of academic affairs.
In 1970, while President Micheels was away on medical
leave, Jarvis served as acting president.
A member of several professional organizations, Jarvis was
the vice president of the American Vocational Association
for three years and the national president when the historic
Vocational Education Act of 1963 was passed. He published
many books and articles, and was considered a national
leader in industrial and vocational education.
Jarvis was instrumental in expanding Stout's role in
industrial education by creating the industrial technology
degree, which today is the engineering technology degree.
Jarvis retired in 1 973 as vice president for academic affairs
and professor emeritus.
Lillian Jeter came to Stout Institute in September 1927 and,
in 1928, became head of the clothing and textiles department.
While at Stout, apart from her administrative and teaching
responsibilities, she supervised student teachers in the home
economics areas of clothing, art and textiles. She also served
on many faculty committees. She was a tireless worker and
was very helpful to students.
She retired from Stout in 1961.
Ray C. Johnson held several positions from 1938 to 1969,
including physical education instructor, athletic director and
department chair of physical education.
During part of his tenure, Johnson was in charge of men's
physical education and was the sole coach for all sports
offered at Stout. In the days when a demonstrated swimming
ability was a prerequisite for graduation, Johnson often
boasted, "No Stout graduate has ever drowned."
Since physical education was very important to Johnson,
he kept close tabs on the construction of the physical
education building, which opened in 1964, to ensure that
it met his high standards. The fieldhouse portion of the
building was later named for him.
Johnson received the National Association of
Intercollegiate Athletics (MAL4) Award of Merit. He served
eight years as NAIA district chair, 10 years as executive
committee member and four years as area chair.
Johnson retired in 1969 with the title professor emeritus.
In 1978 he was inducted as a charter member of Stout's
Athletic Hall of Fame.
Floyd Keith served as chair of the metals department at
Stout for several years. Keith taught welding, sheet metal,
foundry, general metals, machine shop and general motor
"Pappy," as he was also known, had a strong and sturdy
frame. Legends of his strength, skill and terse comments
abounded. Students seldom entered his class without their
Keith was both a skilled craftsman and a dedicated teacher.
Those students who were willing to work received unlimited
help from him in order to meet his high standards.
More than one graduate, obtaining a job as a metals
teacher and nervous that he might not know enough,
received a weekend course from "Pappy" to put the final
touches on his preparation.
After 38 years of service, Keith retired in 1960.
Ray F. Kranzusch taught radio, electrical work, auto
mechanics and general shop. He is credited with creating
the first driver's education program at Stout.
Kranzusch's work with the Craft Clubofferedopportunities
for many students to develop hobbies and crafts, as well as
participate in social events. His genial manner endeared him
Kranzusch retired in 1964 after 40 years of service.
Before coming to Stout in 1912, Mary M. McCalmont held
a variety of educational positions ranging from teaching in a
one-room school, teaching in a missionary school, serving as
a principal, and teaching and supervising music.
Fondly referred to as "Mary Mac," McCalmont taught
chemistry courses at Stout, wrote two laboratory manuals,
served as an adviser to the YWCA and the Science Club,
and counseled many students. Years later one student wrote,
"She had a wonderful influence upon many of us, both in
and out of classes." She served on many faculty committees,
was a long-time member of the local chapter of American
Association of University Women, and the local and national
branches of the American Chemical Society
McCalmont actively updated her teaching knowledge,
researching various industries and laboratories which were
directly related to industrial arts and home economics. She
also visited college and university laboratory facilities.
McCalmont was department chair when she retired in
1952, after 40 years of teaching at Stout. In 1963, a new
women's dormitory was named in her honor. The dormitory
was later converted into office space and is now known as
McCalmont Hall - Education and Human Services.
Memorial Student Center
The original student center on campus, built in 1954, was
"Dedicated to the Students oj Stout State College Who Died in War that
Others May Live." Thousands of Stout students have served in
the armed forces during the past century, from Tarawa to the
Persian Gulf. And many have lost their lives. A concerted
effort was made to identify all of the Stout students who
died while serving their country. The university hoped to
have those names cut into the stone of the building, but
fearing that some names would be left off, President Fryklund
decided not to have the names inscribed.
When the original student center was replaced by a new
facility in 1986, the name was retained.
William J. "Bud" Micheels assumed the presidency of Stout
State College in 1961, and ushered in an era of great
Micheels graduated from Menomonie Public Schools and
the Stout Institute and taught industrial arts for several years.
He earned his doctorate in industrial education from the
University of Minnesota and became chair of the industrial
education department there.
Micheels was a man for all seasons. He was a teacher,
writer, researcher, musician, athlete and art lover. He enjoyed
people immensely and people enjoyed him. Just as Stout
helped shape the character and quality of his early years, he
helped shape the quality of Stout.
Micheels met the challenges of increasing enrollment
at Stout with faculty expansion and administrative
reorganization, and began a building program. Major
additions to the physical plant included a student center, the
health and physical education building, six new residence
halls and a heating plant. Plans were drawn up for the Science
and Technology Building (Jarvis Hall), the Home Economics
Building, and the Applied Arts Building.
In 1964, the name of the institution was changed to
Stout State University. President Micheels felt the university
should retain its special focus but broaden the range of
programs included in that focus. He strengthened Stout's
role with revisions in established majors and added several
In 1971, Stout merged with the University of Wisconsin
System, and was renamed University of Wisconsin-Stout.
Micheels stepped down as Chancellor in 1972, but
continued in his role as an innovative leader until his
retirement in 1977, with the title chancellor emeritus.
The foundry and machine shop were Harold Milnes' areas of
expertise. A skilled craftsman, and a devoted and personable
teacher, Milnes expected a great deal from his students.
"Cooper Milnes," as he was better known, would often
perform a certain ritual on what was called iron heat day
in the foundry. As the first iron melt ran from the furnace
into its receiving ladle, he would run his wet index finger
through the molten stream and pretend to taste it. After this
he would exclaim, "Put a little more salt in it!"
After 38 years of service, Milnes retired in 1954.
Burton E. Nelson was appointed president in 1923. Nelson
taught in several rural schools for many years beginning at
age 1 5. As a result of his position as superintendent of Racine
city schools, Nelson became an influential figure in the
Wisconsin Education Association and a leader in vocational
education which led to his appointment as Stout's head.
President Nelson was in office during a rather unsettled
period in history. The Great Depression of 1929 stifled
funding for new building projects. Only Lynwood Hall and
Eichelberger Hall, both dormitories, were acquired during
Although minimal progress occurred with building
projects, many renovations were made in the shops and
labs. Curriculum revisions stressed a greater emphasis on
academics in order to meet accreditation standards.
Through much effort, Nelson obtained the funds to
purchase the athletic field which was later named for him.
It was the first area on campus named for a Stout faculty
member. Nelson Field, at the south end of the campus, is the
location of facilities for Blue Devil soccer, track, baseball and
The onset of World War II affected the institution as
enrollment dropped with the enlistment of all able-bodied
students and faculty.
Through these trying times, President Nelson was
successful in keeping the school functioning. During his
tenure, the two-year institute had grown into an accredited
four-year college with graduate studies, leaving behind some
of the academy and trade school characteristics of earlier
Nelson often said, "I quit when Hitler does." In 1945, at
the age of 78, he announced his retirement.
Burton E. Nelson, "Prexy" as he was affectionately called,
was sometimes stubborn and always a demon behind the
wheel of a car.
Erich Oetting was the first dean of the School of Education. He
was responsible for organizing and developing its curriculum
arid program of professional courses leading to degrees in
several teaching majors. His considerable experience as a
teacher, principal and superintendent prepared him well to
develop teacher education at Stout.
After 24 years on the faculty, Erich Oetting retired in
1969 with the title dean emeritus.
Few faculty members at Stout have affected the personal
lives of students to a greater degree than Merle Price. Price
joined the faculty in 1929 as dean of men, and later became
dean of students. He also taught courses in social science
Price played a major role in developing a modern form of
student government — the Stout Student Association — and
served as its adviser for many years. The United Council
of Student Governments is a result of his efforts in guiding
the Stout Student Association in collaborating with other
student leaders from Eau Claire and River Falls.
Price was responsible for the opening of the first student
center on campus. He also helped create the Medallion
Award, the highest nonacademic award given to graduating
seniors that have shown outstanding leadership.
As dean of men, Price combined firm discipline with a
humanistic approach. He was concerned about the needs
of students and devoted a great deal of time developing
a special rapport with them. Price spent many evenings
on campus visiting the men's residence halls, and it wasn't
uncommon to find him playing pinochle with students in the
student center. Price enjoyed telling stories, and the students
found him easy to talk to.
After 42 years of sevice, Merle M. Price retired in 1972.
Swanson Learning Center
Robert S. Swanson served as Stout's chancellor from 1972-
1988, but that was just one part of his long affiliation with
the university. He began his studies at the Stout Institute in
1942, served in the U.S. Army in World War II, and returned
to the university in 1946. He taught during his junior and
senior years, and while pursuing his master's degree. In 1950
he became a full-time faculty member, teaching general shop.
Swanson moved up the academic ranks from department
chair, assistant dean and dean of the School of Applied
Science and Technology, and then dean of the Graduate
College before becoming chancellor.
He used his inaugural address to state once and for all
what he believed to be UW-Stout's purpose — preparing
students for a successful career after graduation: "Let us
admit — yes, even advertise — that Stout's major emphasis
is, and will continue to be, career preparation. Stout will
continue to be pragmatic in its approach. Let it be known,
that we do concern ourselves with the preparation of people
to earn a living upon graduation." He then worked with the
U W System Board of Regents to have UW-Stout designated
a special mission institution, which the board approved in
Many words have been used to describe Swanson's tenure,
but two are used most often: honesty and integrity.
Tainter residence hall is located on the site of what was once
the Andrew Tainter estate. Tainter settled in Menomonie
in 1846 to get involved in the lumber business along the
Red Cedar River, eventually becoming a partner in the
Knapp, Stout and Co., Company. Tainter was not only a
businessman, but a philanthropist as well. In 1890, he and
his wife Bertha donated the Mabel Tainter Memorial to the
city of Menomonie in memory of his daughter, Mabel, who
died at the age of 19.
Bertha inherited the estate upon his death. She then sold
the property to James Stout for the purpose of converting it
into a women's dormitory. These two large houses, known as
Tainter Hall and Bertha Tainter Annex, were later torn down to
make way for what is now the Jeter- Tainter-Callahan complex.
Louis Smith Tainter House
Louis Smith Tainter was a man of great executive ability,
a good judge of human nature, endowed with remarkable
energy, and possessing genial qualities that won and held
Born in 1862, the son of Captain Andrew and Bertha
Tainter, Louis grew up in the Menomonie area, attended the
State Normal School at River Falls, and finished his education
at the Eastman Business College in Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
Upon graduation, Tainter went to work as an assistant
to his father for Knapp, Stout & Co., Company overseeing
several of its operations. It was at this time that Tainter's
father built the Louis Smith Tainter House as a wedding gift
for his son and new wife Effie M. (Crouch) Tainter. Upon the
death of his father in 1899, Tainter succeeded him as vice
president of the company, until it ended operations in 1902.
Tainter continued his successful business career, moving
to Chicago,- New York,- Oakland, Calif.,- and finally to Boston
to work with the Publishers Paper Company and Conway
Lumber Company. He died in January 1920.
Francis F. Tustison is credited with developing the four- year
program in physics and mathematics at Stout. He was also
known in the field of industrial education for his job sheets
in home mechanics and for several books.
"Tusty," as he was better known, liked to give the
impression of being tough. His colleagues enjoyed telling
the story of his alleged glass eye. It was said one could
always tell which was the glass eye because if Tusty was told
a sad story, the glass eye was the one that cried.
Tustison retired as a professor of math and physics in 1 95 1 .
Ray Wigen is credited with gaining nationwide recognition
for Stout's graduate college.
Wigen started teaching shopwork at Stout in 1933 and
then became a supervisor of student teacher training. In 1946,
he was appointed dean of the Graduate College, where he
served for 20 years.
Wigen was a good friend of many graduate students. He
is remembered for his dry sense of humor and somewhat
odd laugh which most people found more amusing than his
Long active in educational affairs, Wigen served as chair of
the Minnesota Industrial Arts Association, vice president of
the Wisconsin Vocational and Adult Education Association,
co-chair of the Wisconsin State Curriculum Committee, and
president of the Wisconsin Industrial Arts Association.
Wigen retired in 1966 after 33 years of service.
Don and Nona Williams Stadium
The Don and Nona Williams Stadium is named in honor of a
prominentMenomoniecouple who donated! 1 million toward
the project. The highly respected, civic-minded couple are
active community leaders and noted philanthropists.
Longtime supporters of UW-Stout, the Williams family
had been associated with the grocery business for many
years. Don Williams served a total of 1 8 years on the Stout
University Foundation Board of Directors.
The 4,500-seat stadium is part of the Recreation and
Athletic Complex, financed by gifts, student fees and
Former Named Buildings
The Fifth Street home management house was named for
Martha Ruth Amon, head of the art department from 1 949-
1962. Upperclass home economics students lived in these
facilities for a quarter, to learn the various skills associated
with managing a home.
The building today known as Louis Smith Tainter House was
purchased by the Stout Institute with funds from the Mary
Eichelberger legacy, an endowment from a wealthy Horicon,
Wis., family. The building was renamed Eichelberger Hall
and was used as a women's dormitory, and later as office
space. The building was restored, and in 1984 became home
for the Stout University Foundation and the Stout Alumni
Association. It was renamed for its original occupants when
it was entered on the National Register of Historic Places.
Martha Ruth Amon
Named for Robert L. Pierce, a prominent local businessman,
and member of the governing boards of the university for
2 1 years (the Board of Trustees and the Board of Regents). Pierce also
was a leader in the Republican party at the local, state and
national level for 35 years. When the library moved to a new
building in 1982, the name was dropped when the building
became home to the Stout Vocational Rehabilitation
In 1914, J. Edgar Ray, an itinerant journeyman bricklayer, was
hired to finish the intricate brickwork around the entrance of
the household arts building (now Harvey Hall).
President Harvey was so impressed with Ray's work that
he asked him to teach bricklaying. Ray had graduated from
a trade school but did not have a degree at the time. So,
while teaching, he earned his bachelor of science degree in
industrial education from the Stout Institute. Low enrollment
periods caused by the depression and World War II allowed
Ray to pursue a master's and doctorate degrees.
J. Edgar Ray
J. Edgar Ray was an artisan and a craftsman. He was not
a particularly strict disciplinarian, but his students had to
work hard to meet his high standards. President Fryklund, a
student of Ray's in the early 1920s, enjoyed telling a story of
Ray's unusual method of criticism. One day in class, Fryklund
had just finished building a model brick wall when Ray came
over to inspect it. He took one look, kicked it over and said,
In addition to bricklaying, Ray taught mechanical draw-
ing and architectural drafting. Eventually, he became head of
the drafting department. In 1959, J. Edgar Ray retired after
45 years of service.
Ray Hall was razed in 1996 as part of the Historic Second
Street Corridor project. Bricks from the building were
salvaged and incorporated into architectural features in the
project, including columns built to represent the facade of
the former Ray Hall.
The Sixth Street home management house was named for
Ruth Michaels. Following high school she earned a two-
year diploma at the Stout Institute in 1905. After earning
bachelor's and master's degrees, she taught in Missouri,
Michigan, Iowa, Oklahoma and Pennsylvania before
return-ing to Stout in 1927 as the director of household
arts (later designated as dean oj home economics). She was a leader
in developing home economics in secondary schools and
was active professionally, serving as the president of the
Wisconsin Home Economics Association. She was always
a friend and counselor of women enrolled in the home
Bertha Tainter Annex
Bertha Tainter Annex provided additional women's housing
when it opened in 1907. Students nicknamed it "Barney's
Castle" because it was a barn prior to being remodeled
for housing by Senator Stout. Bertha Tainter Annex was
torn down to make way for what is now the Jeter- Tainter-
Named Campus Facilities
Ameritech Telecommunications Laboratory » Fryklund Hall
Ameritech Wisconsin (now AT&T) bestowed UW-Stout with
a $500,000 telecommunication systems laboratory.
Burger King Fast Food Laboratory
» Home Economics Building *
John F. Entorf Laboratories » Fryklund Hall
John Entorf began teaching at Stout in 1 967 and later became
the assistant dean of the School of Industry and Technology.
He left Stout in 1989 to accept the deanship of Boise State
University Entorf is credited with implementing many new
programs at Stout and is most remembered for his work in
establishing ties between education and industry. He died
Wilmer Flory Gardens » Louis Smith Tainter House Grounds
Wilmer Flory was a 1935 Stout graduate. He is best known
on campus for the thousands of bulbs and plants he donated
that have been used to beautify the Stout campus.
Furlong Art Gallery » Micheels Hall
John Furlong served as assistant to the president (and later to
the chancellor) at Stout from 1963-1985. His first assignment
was to establish an art major. Other assignments included
restructuring the university as it grew from a small teacher
education college to a university. He also established public
relations, alumni and foundation offices. The original Furlong
Gallery was located in Ray Hall.
Harry F. Good Physics Laboratories » Jan/is Hall
Harry F. Good taught industrial arts at Stout from 1918 to
1948. During his long association with Stout, Good served
as adviser to many student organizations.
Geraldine Raisler Hedberg Laboratories » Fryklund Hall
A 1 95 1 graduate and loyal friend of the university and a major
donor for a number of years, Geraldine Raisler Hedberg led
a 1 994 fundraising campaign with a $4 1 0,000 challenge gift,
underwriting the purchase of computers and state-of-the-art
equipment for laboratory space in Fryklund Hall.
Kufahl-Muller Packaging Laboratories » Jarvis Hall
The Packaging Laboratories were officially named the Kufahl-
Muller Packaging Laboratories to honor two professors
emeritus. Marvin Kufahl, a faculty member from 1956 to
1991, served as the packaging programs founder. Arthur
Muller served as a faculty member from 1964 to 1995.
Anne Marshall Biology Laboratory » Jarvis Hall
Anne Marshall taught at Stout from 1939 to 1969 as chair of
the science department. She was a member of the university's
curriculum and graduate studies committees, and adviser to
the Alpha Phi sorority.
Nakatani Center for Learning Resources » Millennium Hall
Arthur Nakatani earned his B.S. degree from Stout in 1971,
and an M.S. degree in 1972. He was an elementary school
teacher in the District of Kona, Hawaii. Following his death
in 1 987, his family donated $1.5 million to Stout in his name
to provide an extensive program of workshops, campus
conferences, and professional support for educators as well
as technological links among a multitude of constituencies.
Otto Nitz Laboratories » Jarvis Hall
Otto Nitz was a member of the chemistry department of
Stout from 1952 to 1971. Nitz wrote a textbook and co-
wrote a laboratory manual that were used extensively in the
United States and abroad.
Lynn Pritchard Music Complex » Applied Arts Building
Lynn Pritchard headed the music department from 1965
until his death in an auto accident in 1983. Pritchard taught
a music appreciation course, and directed the concert band,
pep band, and the Ludington Guard Band, a local summer
Evelyn Rimel Counseling Laboratory » Harvey Mall *
Evelyn Rimel came to Stout in 1961 as head of the family life
department in the School of Home Economics, and taught
courses in education, philosophy and counselor education.
By the late 1960s she was concentrating on counselor edu-
cation in the newly created School of Education. She also
was a major instructor in the area of marriage and family.
When the first counseling laboratory was established at Stout,
Rimel purchased most of the needed equipment from her
own pocket. Rimel was an effective presenter and promoter
of community causes. She left Stout in 1980.
Philip W. Ruehl Laboratories » Fryklund Hall
Philip Ruehl graduated from StOut in 1941. He returned as a
graduate student and teacher in 1947. He taught electronics
and electricity for 20 years and served as the assistant dean of
the School of Industry and Technology. He retired in 1981 .
Guy Salyer Study » Harvey Hall *
Guy Salyer came to Stout in 1948 to teach psychology until
his retirement in 1975. Perhaps better known as "Doc," his
multiple-choice exams were known as "pre-spooks," "pre-
sports," "pre- and post-turkeys" and "pre-Santa's."
Andrew Schneider Manufacturing Laboratory
» Applied Arts Building
Andrew G. Schneider, a friend and benefactor of Stout, was
a half-brother of faculty member Mae Williams. He was
a member of the Advisory Board of the Stout University
Foundation at the time of this death, and left a bequest to the
Foundation in his will. These funds were used to purchase
land for the university that eventually became the Stout
Technology Park. A road in the park is also named for him.
George A. Soderberg Finishing Laboratory » Jarvis Hall
George Soderberg taught wood finishing, painting and
decorating at Stout from 1943 until his retirement in 1974.
A recognized authority in the field, he wrote a textbook that
was widely used. He led a dance band known as the Royal
Blackhawks for 35 years.
Max Sparger Press Box » Williams Stadium
Max Sparger is probably best known for coaching the Blue
Devils to the conference football championship in 1965,
although that stands as only one of his accomplishments
at Stout. Sparger served in many positions, including head
coach of football, wrestling, track and golf teams. He also
served as athletic director for two years before leaving
to become commissioner of athletics for the nine-team
Wisconsin State University Conference.
Bob Ward Photography Complex
» Communication Technologies Building
Robert Ward was hired as an instructor at Stout in 1967 to
teach photography courses and supervise television graphics.
Former students remember his enthusiasm and his exitement
for teaching. He died in 1986.
Mrs. Paul Wilson Room
» Louis Smith Tainter House
The living room of the restored Louis Smith Tainter House is
named for Mrs. Paul (Anna Garrard) Wilson, a mentor, adviser
and friend to many Stout Institute students. She entertained
many students and advised one of the sororities for many
years. Their home (later named the Louis Smith Tainter House) was
open to Stout students.
Facility no longer usedjor "named" purpose.
Text for this booklet was gathered from many sources including Dwight
Agnew, Professor Emeritus; Catherine Courtney; Halsey Douglas; Robert
Nancy Ninas, Honors and Memorials Committee; Swanson, Chancellor
Emeritus; Kevin Thorie, UW-Stout Area Research Center; and Don Steffen,